Our Helpline is run by volunteers from their own homes. We therefore ask that you try to ring the helpline during the day or in the evening, no later than 9pm.
The Helpline can signpost callers to local and national services available to dyslexic people and their families
To contact the Helpline
Ring: 0333 111 00 66 (before 9pm)
Screening for Dyslexia
Screening is not an assessment for dyslexia, but does show the probability of dyslexia in the person being screened.
Croydon Dyslexia Association has been able to provide this service since September 2008 when it was awarded funding by the Community Enterprise Fund to buy the software to carry out computerised dyslexia screening.
A screening session costs £50 (£45 for CDA members), which will last about an hour.
The service is for children (6 years and older).
Please note: For information about where to get an assessment, see the Adults page.
For more information, ring the CDA Helpline – 0333 111 00 66 (before 9pm)
Croydon’s Children Will Shine
Literacy Support Workshops
- The workshops take place on Saturday mornings in term time at Christ Church, Brighton Road, Purley.
- Each workshop session lasts 1 hour (10 sessions a term).
- The subsidised charge is £20 per session, paid half termly in advance, and the first session is a free taster session.
- Teaching is led by a qualified specialist dyslexia teacher, supported by a Higher Level Teaching Assistant working with 10-12 students per session.
Key Stage 2 (Primary school years 3 to 5)
- 9.15am – 10.15am
Key Stage 2-3 (Primary school year 6 to Secondary school year 8)
- 10.30am – 11.30am
Key stage 4 (Secondary school years 9-11)
- 11.45am – 12.45pm
- work on study skills
- reading and comprehension
- homework support
- tailored programmes to meet individual students’ needs and interests.
If your child is dyslexic or has literacy difficulties and would benefit from additional support by coming to the Children Will Shine workshops, email email@example.com to find out more, or alternatively contact the CDA helpline on 0333 111 0066 or email CDAhelpline@hotmail.co.uk.
- Parents/carers – please discuss this with your child before contacting CDA about the workshops.
- All parents/carers of students attending the workshops must be members of the Croydon Dyslexia Association
Dates for the Autumn Term 2018 are:
15th, 22nd and 29th September;
6th and 13th October;
3rd, 10th, 17th and 24th November;
There are no sessions on 20th and 27th October as it is Half Term.
The CDA hosts six open meetings a year, featuring a mixture of talks and workshops lead by by guest speakers and presenters. Entry to these meetings is free to members. A £5 charge is made to non-members.
The meetings are usually held at the United Reformed Church, Addiscombe Grove, East Croydon, with the June meeting usually taking place at the Central Library, Katharine Street.
A CDA newsletter is sent out to all members three times a year at the start of each school term containing information about forthcoming local and national events
Members who take out a DUAL or CORPORATE membership will also receive the ‘Contact’ magazine which is published by the British Dyslexia Association, also three times a year
Family Learning Festival
Each year, the CDA runs a stall at the Croydon Family Learning Festival in the Whitgift Centre, responding to general enquiries from the public.
More information about CDA?
Phone: 0333 111 00 66 (evenings and weekends until 9pm)
Registered Charity No. 289947 (A member of the British Dyslexia Association)